I've had the pleasure of working with the Propeller team at three of my past CFO roles at Sir. Kensington's, Good Culture, Hu, and now at Olipop. The biggest value Propeller brings is creating a strong sense of community. I always know I can access whoever I need based on their level of expertise. And I know they're there to help me when I am super-stretched or if I need to solve problems.
An Empowering Partner for a Startup CFO
Monisha Khushalani spent 20+ years as a finance professional and leader at several large Beauty and CPG companies, including Coty, Unilever, and Nestle. Although she gained invaluable experience from seeing a holistic view of successful businesses, Monisha was eager to have a more influential role in decision-making. In 2016, Sir Kensington’s (Sir K’s), a condiment company, brought her on as their first CFO. Within the first 48 hours, she had already made a decision to spend $1M dollars on a capital expenditure project expecting to recoup the entire $1M in the first year and yield ongoing cost reduction to benefit gross margin.
Propeller, which had supported Sir K’s CEO Mark Ramadan since 2013, was an invaluable resource. Over the next two years, Propeller helped her streamline month-end reporting, implement inventory management processes and prepare financials as the company closed a deal with Unilever.
After the Sir K’s acquisition, Monisha stayed in the startup CPG world by moving to Good Culture, a gut-friendly cultured dairy company (and a fellow Propeller client). Together, they built a financial model that would extend their cash runway without sacrificing equity.
Monisha’s next big move happened when Mark Ramadan asked her to rejoin him as CFO at Hu, a chocolate and snacking company.
As a more mature business, she again turned to Propeller, though in a new capacity. Together, they worked on reporting and accurate inventory accounting within Netsuite, and Propeller provided much-needed transactional accounting services in advance of Hu’s acquisition by Mondelez International, Inc. Propeller continued to support Monisha during her time at Hu and has once again has joined forces when she became CFO for OLIPOP, another Propeller client.
Monisha Finishes Post Graduate Education (MS In Accounting; MBA In Marketing)
Holds Finance Roles Within Large CPG Companies
Joins Sir Kensington’s as First CFO
- Successfully Onboarded Monisha
- Provided Historic Perspective, Trusted Advice & Strategic Support
- Created a New Financial Model
- Streamlined Accounting Processes
- Reduced Month-End Close Reporting by 10 Days
- Set Up Inventory Controls & Assisted with Financial Audits
Unilever Acquires Sir Kensington’s
- During Acquisition, Helped Ensure Financial Statements’ Accuracy
Joins Good Culture
- Served as Acting CFO & Managed Transition
- Initial Board Presentation Prep
- Built Cash Model Focused on Extending Runway Without Giving Up Equity
- Supported First-Year Audit
Joins Hu as CFO
Provided Accounting Support and Report-Building within Netsuite
- Est. Inventory Accounting Processes, Systems Transition and Training
- Developed Dynamic Reporting Provided Transactional Accounting Services During Key Acquisition Period
Mondelez International, Inc. Acquires Hu’s Parent Company
- Continues to Be a Trusted Advisor to Monisha Providing Day-to-Day Sales Order Processing, Invoicing, A/R and Deductions Management
Monisha joins OLIPOP as CFO
Propeller Has Been Working With OLIPOP Since 2018, Providing Accounting and Trade Spend Services, Which Allowed For a Seamless Onboarding Experience when Monisha Joined as CFO
Improved Month-End Close Process Resulting in Additional Time for Board Meeting Preparation
Partnered on NetSuite Migration Freeing Up Time to Focus on Other Projects