Foundational FP&A Groundwork Enables Success for Incoming Sr. VP of Finance During Company’s Scale and Acquisition
Propeller’s legacy engagement with Securly and deep experience with the company’s financials set their new finance leader on firm footing to manage challenges, fundraising, and eventual acquisition.
EdTech SaaS company providing schools with cloud-based web filters and AI-scanning tools to keep students safe on all devices in an increasingly digital world.
For many startups, scaling from $15M to $25M and preparing for an acquisition can be a formidable challenge. Senior Finance VP Scott Cohn joined education technology startup Securly in 2019 eager to guide the company to that next phase. As Propeller helped him quickly onboard, the company faced a short-term cash-flow crunch due to distressed market conditions caused by the global pandemic and disrupted sales due to restructuring their strategic sales team. Scott relied on Propeller and the robust Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) foundation they had already established to hit the ground running.
How Propeller Took Action
• Upon initial engagement in early 2017, created best-of-breed accounting and finance systems and processes
• Created a new model to account for seasonality of sales, complex payment terms, and factoring
• Developed sophisticated metrics and dashboards to highlight KPIs
• Expedited new SVP of Finance onboarding process
• Addressed multi-entity accounting through migration from QuickBooks to Netsuite
• Provided active solutions for navigating
a cash flow crunch due to school closures and low Q1 sales as a result of a revamped sales team.
• Acted as a trusted advisor and supported all fundraising efforts and eventual acquisition
Employee Growth (2016 - 2020)
“Propeller adapted their tools to provide solutions for our business needs and pain points. Their outstanding technical expertise and transaction level work supplements our finance and accounting needs. And they are a trusted strategic thought partner who played
an instrumental role throughout our M&A process and exit to Golden Gate Capital ($15B AUM).”
The Positive results
Propeller’s foundational FP&A groundwork helped Securly navigate a complex period and acquisition
• Better insight into seasonality of the business and expected revenue volume by month and quarter
• Reviewing, analyzing and consulting on KPIs helped leadership track gross and net retention rates, LTV and CAC, operating payback periods, and more
• By taking the lead on the Netsuite implementation project, Sr. VP of Finance was freed up and able to focus on successful Series B fundraising in Q1 2020
• Provided key insights into working capital and burn rate to help navigate a tricky cash-flow crunch
• With Propeller’s guidance, expertise, and data, Securly completed a successful multi-million dollar sale
Annual Recurring Revenue (ARR) Increase
(2016 – 2020)
Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR)
(2016 – 2020)
“Propeller has been valuable because of their fantastic skillset within the relative work as well as their ability to be a thought partner to me at this level. We can bounce ideas off of each other and have collaborative sessions. They push important things up to me and are my extra set of eyes and ears on the ground proactively helping me to see around corners.”
Are you a SaaS company navigating the complexities of growth?
Let’s start a conversation today.